Adult Fiction & non-fiction
Magazines & Newspapers
Children's Fiction & non-fiction
Large Print Books
Young Adult Books
Books on Tape & CD
Videos & DVDs
- Borrowers' cards are initially issued free of charge to residents
of Allegheny County. Patron must show photo ID and proof of current address to obtain a card. It is $1.00 to replace a lost or unusable library card.
- The library participates in Access Pennsylvania, the state-wide library card system. This entitles most residents of the state to borrowing privileges.
- Library accounts 'expire' and must be renewed every two years. If your account has reached the expiration date, simply stop in at any County library to update your record, then you can continue to use your existing library card. You will need to show your photo ID. Until you renew, you will not be able to check out materials (including ebooks), access library computers, renew items or place orders for items.
- Proof of address: If the address on your ID is old, also bring a bill or some other document showing your current address. It is FREE online to change the address on your PA ID or license, and the state requires this to be done within 15 days of moving. Go to www.dmv.pa.gov and follow the links to change address on your photo ID.
- Most items may be borrowed for three weeks.
- Often, materials are able to be renewed. If you would like to renew before the date your items are due, you can log in to My Account; call us at 412-672-0625; or call the automated renewal line at 412-622-1895.
- If your items are already overdue, you'll need to call a library and speak to someone in person to try to renew.
- Items that have been requested by other patrons will not be able to be renewed.
- There is a book drop at White Oak for after-hours returns.
- DVD movies may be checked out for one week. Some circulating reference materials are
also restricted to a one week loan period. A maximum of five
videos and DVDs may be borrowed by adults, and a maximum of
two for children. Some sets of DVDs can be borrowed for longer than a week, but please check each individual item on your receipt.
Fines (Late Fees)
- ADULTS - overdue printed materials .....................25 cents/day
- CHILDREN - overdue printed materials ..................10 cents/day
- DVD & VIDEO CASSETTES ...................................50 cents/day
- Materials may not be checked out when adult fines are over $10 or children's fines are over $5.
- You can sign up for the free text service offered by Allegheny County libraries and renew by text! Simply text SIGNUP+barcode+PIN to email@example.com. Click here to learn more!
RESERVATIONS - All materials in circulation may be reserved.
All materials not owned by this library may be requested from the
Electronic Information Network member libraries. There is no fee if materials are returned by the due date.
REMOTE ACCESS TO CATALOG/RESOURCES - Access the library
catalog 24 hrs. day/ 7 days a week from any computer.
You can also pay fines online here. Go to:
MATERIALS FOR THE BLIND AND THE PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED - A
fine selection of large print books is available at this
library (LBPH). Registrations for talking books, tapes, and
braille may be made through this library.
PHOTOCOPIES & COMPUTER PRINTOUTS - Library material may be
copied for $.15 per page.
Printouts in black and white for $.15 or in color for $.50. (Color available at McKeesport only.)
FAXES - Faxes to 412 and toll-free/800 numbers for .50/page. Other numbers are $1.00 for the call and .50 for each page. Fax cover sheets available for .50.
SCANS - We can scan to an email address or to a flash drive. $1.00 per scan.
MEMORIALS/ HONORARIUMS -Click ON-LINE FORM or stop by the Library to request a form. Notice
is immediately sent to the family.
COMPUTERS - Computers are available for public use.
The catalog, reference materials and the Internet (WIFI) can be
accessed at the library. Microsoft Office 2013 (EXCEL, WORD, ACCESS, PUBLISHER) is available on all patron computers.
FLASH DRIVES ($10), EAR BUDS ($2), CDs, USED BOOKS- Can be purchased at the library. Prices vary.
Visit the Event Calendar for details/more programs/program registrations.
STORYTIMES - Storytime is held most weeks. (Click to see event calendar)
SUMMER READING PROGRAM - This program is held each year
during the summer vacation months. There is a program for all ages.
MOVIE NIGHT AT THE LIBRARY - Check the Events Calendar for movie information, dates and times.
PUMPKIN FESTIVAL - This is a family event held annually in October. Crafts, food and pumpkin decorating.
FAMILY HOLIDAY PARTY - This is a family event held annually in December. Crafts, food, and a visit from a "special' guest.
TEEN PROGRAMS - Wii tournaments, craft making programs, movies and more.
ADULT PROGRAMS - A wide variety of adult programs are offered throughout the year.